{How to use} Cricut Craft Room

how to use Cricut Craft Room

I received my first die-cut machine, the Cricut Personal, a few years ago. It only cut up to 5 inches in height. Although I couldn’t make rather large cuts I could make beautiful cards and other projects that required a die-cut. Earlier this year I had to make the difficult decision of choosing to jump ship from Cricut and join the Silhouette bandwagon or stick with Cricut. That is when Cricut unveiled their new Cricut Mini Personal Electronic Cutter at CHA. And with the Circut Mini came the first ever free design program for Cricut called Cricut Craft Room.

How To Use Cricut Craft Room

I got the Cricut Mini for my birthday. At the time the major craft stores were selling it for $100! I was super excited. I got it out of the box, started playing with it and found it not connecting to my computer, etc. See, in the past Cricut firmware was never compatible with Mac’s. So, the frustrated me, decided to put away the mini for a while. I finally picked it back up earlier this  month and I’ve been hooked. Cricut has since done major updates to the firmware and thus making it super Mac friendly! So today, I’m going to introduce you to Cricut Craft Room and how easy it is to design and cut something in just a few easy steps!

cricut craft room

First up, download the Cricut Craft Room software to your computer. Create a Cricut.com account if you don’t already have one. Once your software is installed you sign in and get ready to start designing! It took me a while to figure out how to link my cartridges. I found this great tutorial from The Cricut Craft Room Blog about linking cartridges.  Note, you don’t have to link your cartridges if you don’t want too. Since this is now my primary machine. I wanted to link my cartridges so that I could access them anywhere any time. Yes, I just said that correct. You can log into Cricut Craft Room anywhere by signing in using your Cricut.com username and password and design! Obviously, you can’t cut if the machine isn’t connected to your computer, but you can design!

cricut craft room

Now that Cricut Craft Room is installed and your all setup it is time to design. Cricut Craft Room comes with a font & basic shape cartridge as well as a bunch of mini projects and symbol cartridges that are offered for a limited time. Every day I feel like there are new free cartridges available to use. I used the Cricut Font and Basic Shapes font for my cut-out this project. You can move your words all around the mat!

cricut machine and mat size

You can also choose a variety of machine and mat sizes. If you have multiple machines–no worries here! I love being able to see exactly where the item is going to be cut-out. This ensures I don’t waste an entire piece of paper and/or vinyl!

cricut craft room

Once your ready to cut–click on the cut button. I’ve been finding recently that I have to click on the folder and then re-click on the file to cut my project. Before you go to cut you get a screen that prompts you to confirm your settings. I love this new feature! You can pick 5 options from the drop down menu in step 1 (Custom, Heavy Card-stock, Medium Card-stock, Light Card-stock, and Vinyl). You adjust your speed and the number of times you would like to cut this item on your screen and then adjust the depth of the blade and the pressure on your physical machine. Click the “cut” button and watch your Cricut go to work!

{How to use} Cricut Craft RoomIf you use a Cricut and have been afraid to make the leap over to Cricut Craft Room I hope I helped ease your fears! Do you use Cricut Craft Room? I’d love to hear your thoughts on this new-ish program!

Disclaimer: There are affiliate links in this post. I was not compensated by ProvoCraft to write this post. When I wrote this post ProvoCraft did not know who I was–fast forward one year later from when this tutorial was published and I now work with them on occassion. Still–all opinions are my own.

Share and Enjoy

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Google Plus
  • StumbleUpon
  • Add to favorites
  • RSS

Comments

1. Hmm, the Craft Room sounds interesting! I have never heard of it. I have a few cartridges but haven’t bought many after I purchased the Sure Cuts A Lot program a few years ago. Is CCR like SCAL where you can cut things that are not on any of your cartridges, i.e. an .svg file you found and saved from the internet?

• Kristin, I don’t think CCR is like SCAL where you can use the .svg files. However, I’m still dabbling around with the program. I was never able to use SCAL because it wasn’t compatible with Mac’s.

• Is the Sure Cuts A Lot program stll available for Cricut Expressions? I just recently bought my Cricut and I would like to know where I can get SCAL?

• Hi Tei, From what I’ve read online that program has discontinued and was never endorsed by Provo Craft the makers of Cricut. Cricut Craft Room would be the equivalent of SCAL and its completely free! Hope that answers your questions.

2. I knew nothing about the Cricut Craft Room – thank you so much – checking it out now!

• Very cool, Danielle. It was just released this year, so they are still working out the kinks. I think as long as you have any of the cricut’s you can hook it up to your computer!

• Mrs. Linda Mann says:

I wish A.C. Moore or one of the craft stores would give a lesson on how to use the Craft Room. I think this information would be so helpful for us Cricut Owners

3. Awesome! I have been meaning to research this. I heart Cricut. Thanks for the review.

xoxo

• Johnnie, I think you’ll love it. It is so nice that you finally get the option to weld letters together to form a word! I also love being able to see exactly where my images are going to cut on the mat!

• Stacy parks says:

How do you weld letters together on the craft room ?

• Hi Stacy, Thanks for stopping by. I don’t have a tutorial but I found a video tutorial here. Hope this helps!

• Welding couldn’t be easier. After you have place 2 or more graphics on the mat there is a little box that comes up and lets you choose weld – don’t weld. Another great feature in Cricut Craft Room is that you can design using any cartridge not just the ones that you own. You can only cut if you have linked your cartridge, BUT if you like the cartridge you chose to design with you can buy it immediately. How cool is that? Once you have tried Craft Room you will wonder how you ever got along without it.

4. Awesome! I need to try this!

5. I love my Cricut. I have been trying to get the Cricut craft room to work since April …. grrrrr! No luck but customer service has been very nice and has been trying as well. I can’t wait until I can start creating with it! Awesome tutorial!

• Mary Beth, I was like that until just earlier this month. They did a few updates and I guess it did miracles and now I’m able to use it. Keep in mind I’m on a Mac so I feel like that may have something to do with it. You are going to love it once you get on–they have quite a few “free” images/sayings right now. It seems to be a seasonal thing. Every time I sign on I see new images pop up! Fingers crossed yours will start working soon!

• I’m trying not to throw my computer out the window right now. I have had to go to my email 4 times to get back into the craft room to do the “free” Mother’s Day card. I got it all ready to print and it locked up looking for my mat status. I thought I’d try later and now can’t find my “saved” project anywhere. I can’t even get into the craft room to get a blank mat to try again. Someone help me so I can get the angry cricuts out of my head! :-) Thanks.

• Hi Donna, I’m sorry to read this. I think the best thing to do is get on the phone with the Cricut Customer Service line and/or message them on Facebook. They are amazing at responding to issues. Fingers crossed you can get it to work.

• For all of you having problems getting the Craft Room to load. Especially if you have an Anti Virus program like Norton. You need to set up the anti virus program to not scan the Provo Craft files. I had a heck of a time getting my sisters computer to load the craft room and fixed it thru the norton program. But other anti virus programs cause problems also. Hers loads now and doesn’t just sit there!

6. This is awesome! Thanks for sharing this. I just did a bunch of vinyl projects over the weekend but plan to more labeling tomorrow and this is great because it comes with all kinds of extra fonts!! Yay! So cool…totally sharing this!

Becky B.
    Organizing Made Fun

7. I have been trying to use this for months now. It keeps telling me that I have to update my machine but when I go to do it it doesn’t recognize my cricut. Not sure what I’m doing wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

8. You are saying that several of these are “FREE” with the Cricut Craft Room but when I go to cut them it tells me to insert the particular cartridge, so they are not free

• Hi Cara, there are free images in Cricut Craft Room. When you are in Cricut Craft Room go to “Cricut Craft Room Exclusives” and you’ll see that some of the cartridge/image names are highlighted those are the ones that are for free. Right now they have a few political ones for free as well as Cricut Mini – Baby, Celebrate, Elegant, and School for free (and a few others). You may also need to do an update on your software to see the most recent free images. Hope this helps.

9. I am looking at purchasing this. Can you give me an idea as to what it cost to cut shapes that are not free?

• Hi Paula, The cricut mini can be found in craft stores for around $100 (on sale). You need to purchase each additional cartridge. I find them online anywhere from $20-$40. As far as Cricut Craft Room goes… it is a free program that Provo Craft gives to its users. The cricut craft room exclusive images contain about 1-20 images or fonts and range in price from $1.99 up to $19.99. Please feel free to email me if you have any other questions.

10. I have successfuly conected my cricut to the craft room but I can’t now use my Cricut as a stand alone. Is there a way I can use my machine without conecting first to my computer like I used to before I linked it to the craft room as I don’t always want to be carring my computer around with my Cricut Create.

• Hi Elaine, what Cricut machine are you using? If it’s the new Cricut Mini it will always have to be plugged into your computer since it does not have a keypad and you have to use Cricut Craft Room to cut from the machine. If it is any of the other machines then I don’t see why it would be a problem to unplug your machine from your computer. Hope that answers your questions.

• Thank you for your reply. I am not using the Cricut mini. Mine is the black Cricut Create which I have had for about year and it’s only recently that I connected it to the craft room.
        However since posting my problem I have received an email from Cricut and there seems to be a firmware problem. They have sent me a set of instructions to follow, which I have yet to do, in the hope of resolving my problem. Thanks again for your rpley.

• Elaine–I have the same Cricut (that was my first one). I haven’t tried setting it up with Craft Room. I’m glad Provocraft contacted you. Fingers crossed the firmware issue is resolved. I know that was my problem for a while (however, I never contacted them I just waited it out). lol.

11. I have the Cricut Craft Room downloaded and love it, but I was Scrapbooking at my friends Lake House and she doesn’t have internet connection there. Is there anyway to use the craft room without an internet connection or is it just with a internet connection only. I was so excited about craft room b/c I didn’t want to carry all my cartridges with me when we went Scrapbooking at her lake house. I was thinking this program would be great just to connect my laptop to her cricut and share cartridges with everyone.

12. Does the Cricut Craft allow you to weld images?

13. desiree jimenez says:

I love , love the Cricut Craft Room. I have used it so many time already to make baby shower invitation, thank you cards, birthday cards. My grandkids just had and under the sea party and we made the invitations, thank you cards and all the decoration. I have the Cricut Mini, Cricut Create, 2 Cricut Expressions and the Cricut Expressions 2. I set up everythilng in the craft room plug in my computor set up all the mats and away I go. It makes it so much easier and much faster. I even did a scrapbook page for each of the kids in my granddaughters tee ball team and within 1 and half hour I had done all 20 pages. Thank you Cricut for all your products my granddaughters and I just love them.

14. Hi. If you sync your cartridges with the cricut craft room they are saved there. You don’t need to put them in the machine to use cricut craft room. Is is like the gypsy when you link your cartridges with that.

15. This is a great blog and it is nice to ‘chat’ with someone who is not selling for Provocraft. I have bought a couple of used cartridges and I am not sure if they have already been downloaded to a Gypsy previously. I wonder what would happen if I tried to load or sync these carts.
    Also, I have recently been given a laptop to use and I am hoping it will be able to be the puter in my craftroom. I am getting excited to see what I can do now with all my carts

• Hi Janice, I don’t own a Gypsy so I can’t answer your question; however, I would imagine some sort of popup message would appear stating that the cartridge has already been linked. I would give it a try. However, I would look into seeing if once you link that cartridge to your Gypsy if you can also link it to cricut craft room… not sure. Definitely look into it! Have fun play with your cricut!

16. Fiona Rozario says:

Hi I’m new to cricut and cricut craft room and I tried to use the sweet tooth boxes cartridge , i was playing around with it but couldn’t figure out how to make all the layers all fit in I chose the triangular cake box and made the image bigger , now how do I adjust the insert that goes in , because they didn’t match up can you please help I hope all this makes sense ….Thanks

• Hi Fiona, I understand what you are asking. To be honest, I’m not sure. I have tried matching images for multiple layers and I’ve had a very difficult time ensuring that they all came out the same exact size. I hope this is something Provo Craft will look into during one of their next updates. For now, I write down the exact dimensions and try to match up the other layers as best as possible. Good luck and thanks for stopping by!

• I tried to match layered inages and realised that could be an issue too. What I do now is select all the images to the cutting mat image. hold down the shift key, select all images and then size them all at once togeather. The images I am not ready to cut I drag off to the side of the cutting mat image. when you go to cut you will get a message that not all images will be cut. that just means the ones off to the side will not be cut. just answer ok.

17. I am looking for a font cartridge (a reall good one) I really want monograms and a curly font. Can I get that from CCR. If so, please tell me how………or do I have to buy a cartridge, if so, what do you recommend?

18. Is there a way to create your own designs in CCR with out using cartridges bought through Cricut? I have some images in mind that I have scanned from coloring books that I would like to use. I have created SVG files using Sure Cuts Alot, but I am weiry about using it with my new machine after reading that it is not compatable and that it voids the warrenty.

• Mrs. Woodsy aka Katie says:

Hi Ben, I’ve yet to figure that out. I wish that Cricut would allow you to create your own images as well… If I ever figure it out I’ll let you know. Or vice versa!

• How does it void the warranty? It is just software…right?

19. I LOVE ccr! I just started using it 2 mths ago and have a 12 wk old so I can’t get to it as much as I like but what I have done with it is amazing. I can layout an entire project and arrange it on the mat before I cut, design with fonts and get to see if I like it or not before i cut, which saves me a ton of paper), and weld letters and images together for entirely different looks! I’m in love!

20. I was just wondering if anyone has figured out how to cut their own designs using the craft room? without using the cartridges. I love my cricut too along with the many different cartridges but i would love to use some of my own designs

• Mrs. Woodsy aka Katie says:

Susie–to this date I have not figured that out yet. Trust me… if I do I will write a blog post about it and share it with the world! :) Thanks for stopping by!

21. Can anyone help me? I am having trouble getting my cricut to download to my computer. I have tried lots of things but maybe I’m not holding my mouth right! I have the mini cricut and I’m dying to use it! Also for some reason I cannot get the cricut craftroom downloaded on my pc either. I’ve tried the troubleshooting on the cricut website and looked over everything over and over again. Please if anyone can help me I really appreciate it!!! Thank you!

• Mrs. Woodsy aka Katie says:

Hi Amanda–I had the same problems you are experiencing. Sadly I really can’t be of much help to you. I restarted my computer a few times, removed the plug from the mini a few times, and then one day it just worked. You might want to call Cricut’s 1-800 number.

22. I just wondered if I would be able to take my cricut machine to someones house and access the craft room from their computer and still be able to cut using my machine…. Thanks!

• Mrs. Woodsy aka Katie says:

Hi Katie–yes, you can access Cricut Craft Room anywhere by logging in to your account. However, your friends computer will need to have Cricut Craft Room downloaded on their computer. Hope that helps and thanks for stopping by.

23. I’m interested in purchasing the Cricut Mini, but I want to know what the “hidden” costs will be. I realize the software is free, but do you have to purchase the designs?

• Hi Debbie, Yes, you have to purchase each individual cartridge–so that is where the hidden cost would be. With that being said I’ve found them on sale at the local craft stores, Amazon, and eBay for a good price. Hope that helps!

24. Hello , I have just bought a Cricut Mini and have experienced many problems with the installation of Craft room, now I have got passed the installation and for some reason I can’t open craft room to access the virtual mat, can anyone help please???

25. How I use the craftroom in spanish. Thanks !!

26. Can I import my OWN images/phrases or fonts to cut? What I am looking for is not contained in any of the fonts I see in the craftroom. I am new to all this and I would like to cut my own designs and import my own fonts to use.. Is this possible?

• Hi Jo, unfortunately, you are limited to only what Cricut has available. You can; however, create your own phrases using one of the fonts Cricut has available and then weld the letters together to make it one solid word (hope that makes sense). Good luck and have fun with the Cricut!

27. I am considering buying a Cricut, but one reason for my hesitation is because I am not familiar with the fonts. Is it possible for me to “play around” in the Cricut Craft Room before buying a machine? Thank you.

• Hi Linda–Cricut craft room is a free program. With that being said you could easily play around and see all the cartridges Cricut has to offer!

28. I just got the cricut expression and have no clue how to use it. I know how to cut out letters but that’s about it. I got two cartridges with it and a roll each of vinyl, chalkboard, and iron on. I tried the iron on and it doesn’t iron on well. I was very disappointed. For the price I was hoping it would stick.

• Jenny–I use the Iron-On vinyl all the time and have had no problems with it not adhering on. Make sure when you iron it on to your fabric that you do not use steam. I tend to keep my iron on longer than instructions say only because I want to make sure its on their good! Give it another try… even if its a sample piece on a scrap fabric… don’t give up. Cricut is a great product and they have great customer service. Let me know if I can help in any way.

29. I am just getting acquainted with my cricut and have downloaded ccr. I’m confused when it tells me to put in the cartridge when I am trying to connect a digital cartridge I have bought from cricut. Thanks for your help

30. I just came across your site and there is some good information that you have provided. ( I hadn’t heard of CCR) I have had my cricut for several years now and I bought the Design Studio way back when. My question is would CCR be a separate program aside from the Design studio? would they work together or would this take over for Design studio? thanks for your time.

31. This may seem like a stupic question, but I am VERY new to this Cricut world. I just purchased the Cricut Expression 2.
    I would like to download the Craft Room because it sounds amazing. However, I have dialup so I have to see about taking my laptop to my sisters where she has much faster internet.

My question is – when you use the craft room, do you need to be connected to the Internet in order to use it? If so, this will not work for me because of only have dialup connection in my area.

I appreciate your answer.

Thanks.

32. Hi, I’m trying to get the craft room to work with My expression and my MacBook Pro. And I can’t get it to cut out my project. Which connection do I use to make it work? I used the one from my Gypsy and almost fried my MacBook. Oh no. It just died. But thank God it came back on. It looked like it was going to work. Do I need to get a different computer cord to link it up?

Thanks for any help in this matter, I really want to use the Craft Room for my cricut. I would love to figure it all out. :-)
    Jeanne Williams

• Hi Jeanne, I operate on a mac and haven’t had any issues with getting it to connect. Maybe try restarting computer, clearing the cache and unplugging /replugging the cord. I’ve also put in your question to my Cricut concierge contact in hopes she can help answer/resolve your question.

• Hi Jeanne–I got an answer back from my Cricut Concierge host… “Craft Room will work with MacBook Pro provided she is at 10.6 or higher. She will need to use a USB to Printer cable to connect her Expression to the MacBook. ”

Hope this helps.

Katie

33. I guess the Craft Room is suppose to replace Design Studio since Provo Craft no longer updates it. I like sharing tips too, that’s why I wrote the Cricut machine tips book.

34. Kristie says:

Am I correct in thinking that I can use the craft room on multiple computers? I don’t have a laptop but if I am understanding all the various things I read, if my Gypsy is linked to my Craft Room and all my cartridges are linked to my Gypsy, then as long as I can install the FREE Craft Room software on whatever computer is available to me at the time (say my home, my work, my best friends house, etc), then I can access all my cartridges from whichever computer I log into the Craft Room from?

• Kristie–you are correct. You can use Craft Room on multiple computers. You just need to software downloaded on each of the computers you want to use… plugin your username and password and voila… craft room at your finger tips!

• Stella says:

I tried that, it told me I can only have it on two computers. I ‘m trying to delete one computer and use the laptop for the other computer. But I don’t know how to delete the other computer. Do you know how?

35. I just recently started using CCR. I like it a lot. But I have a couple of newbie questions.

1I have had my Cricut and Gypsy for a few years, but this is the first time I have linked my projects to my computer or used Cricut’s digital software at all.. I have tried moving individual projects to my Gypsy that i created using my digital software. I save it to my computer and then transfer to my Gypsy. Most of the time it works but not always. i haven’t tried doing a project any where but at home since i started using my CCR. Can I transfer a digital cartridge that i purchased through my CCR to my Gypsy? Also is there a way to load a cartridge directly onto my CCR without first loading it to my Gypsy?

• Colleen, I’ve forwarded your questions to my Cricut Concierge Rep… I don’t have a gypsy so I can’t help. But she should be able to provide me with an answer to give you in a few days. Bare with me, I have a newborn and I’m on the computer randomly!

36. I have the Cricut Expression and have had it for about 3 years and have never used it. I would like to try the Craft Room but…..I’m embarrassed to say that I don’t know how to connect my lap top to the cricut……lol. It didn’t come with that cord…it’s an odd connection. Can you help me?

• Hi Laura, contact Cricut support. I’m sure they can help you locate the correct cord you will need to connect it. Wish I had a better answer for you, but I know you can find the cord and get crafting. Cricut Craft Room will change the way you create! :)

37. Just started using CCR. I saved a project to cut out later but when I open the project, there are no images on my mat. It’s there in the preview when I open up My Projects, but, like I said, nothing when it actually opens up. It was a lot of work and hate to have to re-do it. Any suggestions? ~ Shelley

• Hi Shelley–I’ve never had that happen to me before. Try a few things before calling Cricut support.
      1. Close out the program and restart your computer
      2. Check for updates to the program

If after both of those things it still is not showing I would definitely give Cricut support a call!

38. I have the personal cricut cutter. I think it’s the first version they made. Can I use the circuit craft room w this model?

39. Hi Melisa, You should be able to use Cricut Craft Room you just need to be able to connect your machine to your computer. Give it a try–good luck and happy crafting!